GyPSy Guide provides a professional tour guide commentary along scenic drives. Our tours highlight the very best of the region with entertaining stories about history, geology, legends and local advice, so all you have to do is drive, listen and soak in the scenery.
Just Like Having A Tour Guide In Your Car™
Stories, tips and directions as you drive, so you don’t miss a thing.
All the benefits of a guided tour, the freedom to drive yourself.
Download over wifi, tour offline. No data, cellular or wifi required.
ICEFIELDS PARKWAY TOUR
ICEFIELD PARKWAYS TOUR ROUTE MAP
What to Expect
This incredibly scenic drive will no doubt be a highlight of your tour in the Canadian Rockies. It has been voted the World’s Most Beautiful Mountain Drive.
Along this drive we will point out the must-do stops of the drive, as well as places that you may want to explore if you have lots of time. Be amazed by the incredible mountains, brightly coloured lakes and glaciers that live the western side of the road. There are many stories about important characters of the Rockies who shaped its past and future. This GyPSy Guide Driving Tour App will even highlight places where you may have a better chance of seeing wildlife.
This tour is one of the collection of 4 tours that cover the Canadian Rockies National Parks.
The tour works in both directions if you are starting from Lake Louise and traveling north to Jasper or in reverse. It is also popular and common to do this tour by driving from Banff or Lake Louise to the Icefields Centre, and then returning.
What You’ll See
Some of the highlights along the tour route include;
Columbia Icefields Centre
Prepare for the Tour
Know Before You Go
- Gas up the night before, there are limited services along the Icefield Parkway.
- Wildlife watching is best at dawn and dusk, so get an early start to improve your chances.
- Pack a lunch & snacks, again very limited food choices along the route. However there are many beautiful picnic spots along the way.
- Take a flask if you want to capture some pristine glacial water at the Athabasca Glacier.
- Take a sweater and windproof jacket. Weather can fluctuate dramatically, even in summer and can be snowing up on the Athabasca Glacier.
- Pack binoculars for up close views of glaciers and wildlife.
Where the Tour Starts
- Starting from Lake Louise or Banff. The tour commentary begins as you approach the entrance for Highway 93A, heading north towards Jasper. This is the exit after the Lake Louise exit if you are coming from Banff on Highway 1.
- Starting from Jasper. Join the tour by driving south on Highway 93A from the town of Jasper.
ICEFIELDS PARKWAY APP REVIEWS
ICEFIELDS PARKWAY, BANFF & JASPER DRIVING TOUR APPS
HOW TO PLAN A TRIP TO THE CANADIAN ROCKIES
LISTEN TO SAMPLE COMMENTARY – ICEFIELDS PARKWAY
Can I do the Icefields Parkway as a day trip from Banff?
Yes. If you are beginning and finishing your day in Banff or Lake Louise it is recommended to go as far as the Icefields Centre which is about 2/3’s of the way, and then turning back. The Icefields Centre is where the glacier comes close to the road and you can take the special bus tours onto the glacier.
This will take a full day and and include almost all of the best sightseeing locations.
It is too far to drive all the way to Jasper and then turn around and drive back in one day and it won’t leave you anytime to see any of the sights in Jasper itself. It adds a minimum of 2 hours more driving time, plus sightseeing time (1.5 – 2 extra hours).
What should I bring?
Its important to keep charging your device as you drive and we recommend using a DC cigarette lighter-style of charger. Plugging directly into the vehicle’s USB port is not recommended.
Fill up with gas at Lake Louise or Banff or in Jasper before you join the Icefields Parkway.
Eating options on the drive are available but limited. It’s a good idea to bring food and drinks with you.
Always bring a jacket as weather can change quickly in the mountains. Sturdy shoes are recommended if hiking.
Make sure you have lots of memory for your camera or phone – you will take many photos!
I'm not from Canada - will I need data?
There is no requirement for any data or wifi network connection while you drive. The app only requires the FREE GPS signal to operate. You can leave your Cellular Data function turned off – the tour will still work.